Friday, February 10, 2012
9:00 am to 3:30 pm*
Lillooet Room, Irving K. Barber Learning Centre
University of British Columbia, 1961 East Mall, Vancouver, BC
*Webinar participation is available for the morning session (9 am to 12 pm)
Co-Principal Investigators of the Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives and Patient Safety study, Dr. Barbara Mintzes (UBC) and Dr. Joel Lexchin (York U), will host a consultation/workshop to present the study results and to discuss the implications with medical educators, academic detailers, and policy makers in British Columbia.
This a CIHR-funded study to assess the information provided by pharmaceutical sales representatives to family physicians in Canada. The principal aim was to compare the frequency with which sales representatives provide physicians with key safety information needed for appropriate prescribing. The study compared experiences in Canada (Montreal and Vancouver), France (Toulouse), and the United States (Sacramento), representing three national regulatory environments. In total, 255 physicians participated, reporting on 1692 drug-specific promotions. Although little information was provided on serious harmful effects or contraindications, physicians judged the information quality positively, and said they would alter prescribing.
9 am to 12 pm Workshop/consultation [Webinar participation available]
- Presentation of study results
- Drug-specific case studies on evidence vs. marketing: is there a safety concern?
- Presentation on current related medical education initiatives in BC
- Implications of the difference between general practitioners’ perceptions of the encounters and the reality of the quality of information transmitted
- Discussion of opportunities and gaps in current approaches
12 pm to 1 pm Lunch
1 pm to 3:30 pm Consultation/strategy session
- Consultation and discussion of strategies for the development of education initiatives (e.g., modules) and policy initiatives
Please note: The morning session will also be available by webinar for those outside Vancouver.
Please RSVP for the meeting or webinar by Friday, January 27th by emailing Coordinator Ellen Reynolds at email@example.com