Granville Island Hotel, Vancouver, Canada, Wednesday, March 28, 2012
The TI's Drug Assessment Working Group has drafted the program for this workshop. The sessions will be as much as possible interactive and practical (hands-on), with many examples and exercises, allowing the participants to learn by doing. TI staff and other ISDB members will conduct this training workshop.
Morning: 10:00 – 12:30 (coffee and refreshments served upon arrival)
Session 1: The foundation of critical appraisal:
- formulating the research question,
- establishing a rational hierarchy of outcomes that includes benefits and harms, etc.
Session 2: Some concepts and practices of systematic critical appraisal:
- counting and accounting,
- analyzing according to intention-to-treat, etc.
Lunch: 12:30 – 13:30
Afternoon: 13:30 – 16:30 (with a refreshment break 14:50 – 15:10)
Session 3: Data analysis:
- using Review Manager software (RevMan 5.1),
- creating a forest plot from RCT data, etc.
Session 4: Hunting for biases:
- systematic investigation of the many ways in which data may be a result of various biases,
- using the Cochrane risk of bias tool, etc.
Closing remarks: 16:30 – 17:00
Evening: optional social event.