REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!
Best Evidence for Clinicians: annual UBC Therapeutics Initiative course
WHEN: Saturday, October 21, 2017 – full day course 08:30 – 17:15 [Add to calendar]
WHERE: Surrey Memorial Hospital in Surrey, BC [map]
Join us for this popular conference designed to provide physicians, pharmacists, and other health professionals with up-to-date, evidence-based, practical information on prescription drug therapy.
Although primarily aimed at prescribers (MD’s, NP’s) and pharmacists, this course will appeal to any health professional who wants to learn and think about the scientific evidence behind what we should or should not be doing with prescription drugs.
Lots of interaction: discussion periods following lectures, and case-based, small group workshops.
Topics include best evidence for therapeutics in geriatrics, diabetes, infections and more!
Note that this conference is not supported by industry funding.
Comments from previous years:
- “Excellent, thought-provoking, evidence-based content.”
- “Unbiased speakers who strongly believe in practicing evidence-based medicine.”
- “Promotes critical thinking and provides powerful messages that will stick with me.”
- “Probing questions make you examine your beliefs and how you practice.”
- “The only conference that I have been to that helps me to critically question results of clinical trials and guideline recommendations.”
- “Probably the most relevant and well-presented talks of any medical conference I’ve been to.”
- “Bring Dr. Finucane back again!”
Earn 7.25 Mainpro+/MOC Section 1 credits. CCCEP credits will also be available.
Full agenda below!
- Ruth Campbell, BSc(Pharm). BC Provincial Academic Detailing Service (Interior Health)
- Thomas Finucane, MD. Professor of Medicine, Division of Geriatric Medicine & Gerontology, Co-Director, John Hopkins Home-Based Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore MD
- Rita McCracken, MD, CCFP. Associate Head & Clinician Scholar, Department of Family Practice, Providence Health Care, Vancouver BC
- Robin McKenzie, MD. Associate Professor of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore MD
- Navindra Persaud, MD, MSc. Assistant Professor, Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto; Associate Scientist, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto ON
- Colin Dormuth, MSc, ScD. Chair, Pharmaco-Epidemiology Working Group, UBC TI; Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology & Therapeutics, UBC
- Vijaya Musini, MD, MSc. Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology & Therapeutics, UBC; Manager, Drug Assessment Working Group, UBC TI
- Cait O’Sullivan, BSc(Pharm), PharmD. Island Health Clinical Pharmacy Programs; BC Provincial Academic Detailing Service; Researcher, Drug Assessment Working Group, UBC TI
- Thomas L. Perry, MD, FRCPC. Chair, Education Working Group, UBC TI, Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology & Therapeutics and Department of Medicine, UBC
- Lorri Puil, MD, PhD. Editor, Cochrane Hypertension Group, UBC TI; Drug Assessment Working Group, UBC TI
- Aaron M. Tejani, BSc(Pharm), PharmD. Co-Chair, Drug Assessment Working Group, UBC TI; Clinical Pharmacist/Drug Utilization Evaluation, Lower Mainland Pharmacy Services, Vancouver
- James M. Wright, MD, PhD, FRCPC. Managing Director and Chair, UBC TI; Coordinating Editor, Cochrane Hypertension Group, UBC TI; Professor, Department of Anesthesiology, Pharmacology & Therapeutics, UBC
Saturday, October 21
8:00 Breakfast & Registration Open
830 Essential Medicines: Should We Have a National Formulary or Drug Benefit Plan? | Nav Persaud
915 Geriatrics | Tom Finucane
- Do antidepressants work in the elderly?
- If a dementia drug is stopped, will the patient get worse?
- When/how is it OK to use antipsychotics in nursing homes?
1015 Refreshment Break
1035 Diabetes 2 | Tom Finucane & Cait O’Sullivan
- What have we learned about DM2 since last year?
- What outcomes are we trying to achieve?
1135 The Story of Diclectin: We Often Don’t Know the Real Story | Nav Persaud
1200 Q&A and Discussion Period
Digestifs: short presentations to aid digestion!
1315 Why is Domperidone So Heavily Used for Breastfeeding in BC? Is it Safe or Effective? | Lorri Puil
1330 Hepatitis C: Does SVR = Cure? | Robin McKenzie
1345 Searching for Evidence for Atorvastatin 80mg Post Stroke | Ruth Campbell & Cati O’Sullivan
1400 Short-Course Treatment for Common Infections | Robin McKenzie
1440 Don’t Rush to Triple Therapy for COPD | Aaron Tejani
1500 Is Evolucumab or Ezetimibe Indicated? | Jim Wright
1515 Q&A and Discussion Period
1530 Refreshment Break
1545 Workshops – select 1
A) Practical Deprescribing – case-based | Tom Perry & Rita McCracken
B) Stopping PPI and Other Specific Drugs | Tom Finucane
C) Learning to Read a Cochrane Systematic Review – Bring your own example! | Vijaya Musini & Aaron Tejani
D) New Perspective on CV Risk Assessment and Statins | Jim Wright
E) Understanding Hazard Ratios and Kaplan-Meier Curves in Clinical Trial Reports | Colin Dormuth
1715 Conference Ends
Pre-registration ends: Thu. Oct 5, 2017 | Add to calendar
|Save $10 by registering online!||Before Oct 5||After Oct 5
& On Site
|Allied Health Professionals||$179||$199|
*A limited number of scholarship registrations may be available. Please email email@example.com for details.