14 Oct 2023 TI Annual Course 14 October 2023
Therapeutics Initiative Annual Course 2023
This year’s highly interactive half-day conference was offered virtually on Saturday, October 14th, 2023 and tackled common and new drug therapy issues from an evidence-based perspective. The scope of information is broad, practical, and often controversial, thus appealing to professionals in family practice, internal medicine, and pharmacy. This, like all TI events, did not receive any sponsorship from the device or pharmaceutical industry. The TI Annual Course is accredited and participants receive up to 3.5 MAINPRO+ CME credits.
Discussions covered new research on bupropion, thyroid testing, pharmacokinetics, sedating medications, and optimal prescribing. The keynote address: Is Screening Misunderstood? was given by Dr. Guylène Thériault MD, CCFP – a family practice physician, educator, and advocate for evidence-based healthcare, passionate about incorporating sound care and prevention in clinical practice, and a sought-after speaker covering topics like screening and overdiagnosis.
Is screening misunderstood? | Dr. Guylène Thériault | View video presentation
In Dr. Thériault’s practical and evidence-informed presentation, she begins with a discussion of the public messaging about the purported benefits of screening. She then describes a process for clinicians to dissect these claims to truly understand what is actually accomplished through common screening programs. Finally, she outlined a 3-step strategy to critically analyze any clinical practice guideline.
Other topics were presented by new and veteran faculty members at the Therapeutics Initiative (video recordings will be made available later):
- Becoming An Evidence Detective (Critical Appraisal Pearls for Clinicians) | Dr. Jessica Otte & Dr. Aaron M. Tejani
- Is Any Sleep Medication Ever a Good Idea? | Dr. Rita McCracken & Dr. Wade Thompson
- Case Based Polypharmacy | Dr. Tom Perry
- Using Simple Pharmacokinetics to Optimize Prescribing| Dr. Tom Perry
- Bupropion: A Discussion of Its Efficacy and Safety | Dr. Cait O’Sullivan & Dr. Vincent Wong
- Approach to Rational Laboratory Test Utilization | Dr. Anshula Ambasta